A lamp with more than two nozzles was called a polymyxus. The number of nozzles was not limited but vast quantities found only have one. Oil lamps were used by the Romans for mainly three reasons; to light private and public spaces, to give as offerings in temples and to the gods and to be placed within a grave or funerary context.
Miniature Roman Multi-Nozzle Oil Lamp
A miniature Roman terracotta oil lamp with a D-shaped body and three short and rounded nozzles. There is one central filling hole and a large loop handle to the rear. The base features three concentric circles. The discus remains plain and undecorated.
Provenance: From the collection of Arno Jumpertz, Leverkusen, Germany, 1924-1984. Much of the collection was exhibited at Neus museum, 1985.
Condition: Very fine. Some loss of glaze.